Thursday, July 8, 2010

Why would she go and do that?

I am about to embark on my second trip to visit our friends at Igreja Presbiteriana Missional in Belo Horizonte, Brazil. I will be traveling with Rev. Kye Chung and Rev. Andrew Yi of Binnerri Presbyterian Church in Richardson, Texas, and their group of 12. Our plan is to join with the congregation of Rev. Robson Gomes in putting on a "real American" sports camp for the children of Belo Horizonte, teaching them baseball and making friends.

This is my first attempt at a blog, but it seems like the best way to stay in touch with my own congregation in Guymon, Oklahoma while their pastor wanders around the world.

I went on my first mission trip with Grace Presbytery's Youth Committee (Hi, Rick and Wes!) in 2002 and have since traveled in mission to Texas, Mississippi, Kentucky, New Mexico, South Dakota, Russia and Brazil. I have traveled (not in mission) to Syria, Jordan and Israel.

If you have not yet experienced domestic or foreign mission, I hope this blog will communicate a little bit about how it feels to recognize the same Holy Spirit residing in others who resides in your own heart in a place where you recognize no one and nothing else...how you can enter the home of a stranger and feel in your own spirit that you are entering the home of another Christian...how you can feel safe among people you've never met...how only in a place you've never been can you know how it feels to truly let God direct your steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment