Thursday, July 22, 2010

Almost home!



If you go, you have to come back...

Spent Wednesday morning re-writing my column for the church newsletter while others shopped for souvenirs (it's okay, I already had all of mine...) and then Ana and Marco arranged for 3 cabs to haul us and our luggage to the Rio airport for the first leg of our flight home.

The Deadly Card Game With the Painful Penalty for losing started on the floor of the Rio airport and continued at Sao Paolo...I'm not much of a card player, so I could only cringe as others stepped up to bare their forearms and take their punishments...this may take some demonstration when I get home ;)

We lucked out on the overnight Sao Paolo-DFW flight - it wasn't full, so several of us had more than one seat to ourselves - a little more wiggle room, and much better for snoozing attempts. Still, I managed to fall asleep in an unusual position, so I'm working out the kinks...

After clearing customs (Monotone: "You forgot to write your passport number on this form, ma'am. Welcome to America, ma'am. Have a good day. STAMP. Next." So much for a warm and welcoming WELCOME HOME TO AMERICA!!) we said our goodbyes with promises to do this again together. After a little while I got a call from Pastor Kye (who was waiting for his flight to Montreat where he is scheduled to lead the music in worship for the youth weeks coming up), with an invitation to the Admiral's Club! It really IS nice to be able to sit with free WiFi, refreshments and nice surroundings while you wait for your flight. Let's hear it for friends in high places~

Only one more hour and I finish up on American Eagle to Amarillo for a reunion with Chris (next time, he's going!) and our drive home (that is, after I make a claim for the new suitcase American Airlines owes me...) and my first PB&J in two weeks!

This has truly been one of the best mission trips I've ever been on: best country, best food, best project, best hosts, best team - still sad for those of you who didn't come this time - ever hopeful that we'll be able to share it together in July, 2012...start putting a little money away between now and then, write it in your schedule and instead of saying you can't make it because of "this and that" make "this and that" move over for Belo! I promise you won't regret it!

1 comment:

  1. hey Deborah ... glad you enjoyed the club and rest. thanks for everything and for your contribution to our team!

    your friend in "high" places,
    kye

    ReplyDelete