Friday, August 26, 2011

Teach me not to duck...

The entries of the past two days have been a report on an event connected with a movement that might be a historical moment for the Presbyterian church.  I have not hidden who I am and have tried to be transparent in reflecting on the events of each day for those who were unable to be present - the only place my speech is constrained is the pulpit, where I am bound to preach the Word of God to particular people in a particular place as the Spirit inspires, and as the Spirit translates to the hearer.  The rest is the observation and opinion of a fellow believer struggling to be faithful.


Pastors have responsibilities for the congregations entrusted to them by God.  We are supposed to keep an eye out for where the Spirit is at work and inform God's people.  We are charged with encouraging our congregations to pray and discern God's will for these people in this place.  We are expected to lead, instruct, direct, challenge and admonish, but not to push or drive.  We are not to intentionally - or negligently - mislead them, neglect them or abandon them.  We are not to be afraid and we are to help our congregations to conquer their fear.


I came to this Gathering because I take this responsibility so seriously that I didn't want anyone else to interpret it for me, to cherry-pick what was reported or to filter it through the lens of their own context, which is not the context of the congregation I shepherd.


The people with whom I shared table discussions were across-the-board in their congregational contexts and needs, but everyone was primarily interested in whether or not God was creating some new thing or if God and their community would be best served by the way and in the place where they were presently serving.


I had good, frank and open conversations with other moderators and executive presbyters, pastors, elders and leaders from congregations large and small, urban and rural on both sides of the issues involved.  We were addressed by a seminary president and respected scholars and pastors.  There were people present from 800 congregations in all 50 states.


There are many good things about who we are.  Reform theology is unique and life-changing.  But we cannot continue to pretend that everything is well with the PCUSA -  the GA Moderator and Stated Clerk were both present and engaged in the conversation and agreed that the PCUSA needs to be "reconstructed."   I am unwilling to  "guess" at what God's will might be - I have to pray, investigate, learn and discern - but I have not taken a stand with anyone but Jesus.


Nevertheless, the previous post is the charge of every congregation - we shouldn't be afraid of honest self-assessment and taking risks to become better people than we presently are.  Every congregation - Roman Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, Nazarene, Baptist, Reformed and non-denominational should ask themselves:  What would our ministry look like if we were listening to neighbors?  Should we consider planting a daughter church?  In a post-denominational world, does our congregation's name communicate; to 21st century people who we are when people who have no clue what a "Presbyterian" is, except perhaps that it is for "rich" and educated  people?  None of those questions requires a denominational change - but they do require an open mind and a willingness to change for the sake of others.


One of the last prayers of the Gathering went like this:  Lord, help me today to see the world through your eyes.  May my heart be broken by the things that break the heart of God, and may my heart dance with the things that make His heart dance.  And when the Holy Spirit puts something in front of me, teach me not to duck.




No comments:

Post a Comment